The Cleaning Services Group has put together a hair-raising info-graphic which shows exactly how much we take the cleanliness of our workplaces for granted. Take a look at these filthy facts and also learn why it’s important to clean your desk before and after you eat at it!
If you’re sitting at your desk reading this, brace yourself. The average workplace desk can be 400 times dirtier than the average toilet seat! Have you every stopped to think how clean your workplace really is?
The Filthy Facts
- Workplace equipment can be 400 times dirtier than the average toilet seat
- There are 16 million microbes on the typical office keyboard
- Only 3% of offices sufficiently clean their equipment
High Germ Zones
- Office Telephones – 25,127 microbes per square inch
- Keyboards – 3,295 microbes per square inch
- Computer Mice – 1,676 microbes per square inch
You may ask how does it become this dirty?
- The typical office worker’s hands come in contact with 10 million bacteria per day
- Cleaning hands after using the toilet can reduce contamination be 10%
- A shocking 32% admit to not washing their hands after using the loo
- 30% said they only used water to wash their hands
- 26% of us have faecal bacteria on our hands
EATING AT YOUR DESK
- Your desk is 100 times less hygienic than the average kitchen table
- Almost 60% of employees say that they eat at their desk
- Crumbs are a source of bacteria
- 1 in 5 office workers never clean their desk before eating
DO YOU CLEAN YOUR DESK?
- 75% of workers wipe down occasionally
- 11% never clean their keyboards
- 20% never clean computer mice
- 46% sanitise their keyboard less than once per month